This is where I’m collecting links to all my “Best Pressing Shootouts.” I’m going to try to organize these in a useful way, by genre and label. But this may develop over time… Winners are bolded and underlined. Since I’m always updating my hifi, I occasionally return to an earlier comparison to evaluate it in light of an improved system. When I do, I mark them with a red *Revisited.
- Ornette Coleman Trio, At the “Golden Circle” Volume One: 1966 New York USA (RVG, Plastylite) vs. 1977 King Japan reissue *Revisited!
- Eric Dolphy, Out to Lunch: 1977 King Japan vs. 2015 Music Matters *Revisited!
- Charles Mingus, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady: 1963 Impulse vs. 1963 Sparton vs. 1975 Impulse Japan (Toshiba) vs. 2019 Vital Vinyl *Revisited!
- Charles Mingus, Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus: 1968 ABC Impulse vs. 1979 MCA Japan *Revisited!
- Eric Dolphy, Out There: 1969 Prestige Blue Trident Stereo vs. 1968 Xtra UK Stereo vs. 1975 Toshiba-EMI Japan Stereo vs. 1977 Victor Japan Mono
The Beatles (not a label; sorry)
- Abbey Road: 1981 Blue Box vs. 2009 Remaster vs. 2019 Giles Martin Remix
- Rubber Soul: 1981 Blue Box* vs. 1995 Direct Metal Master (Side 1 sounded worse than DMM; Side 2 significantly better)
- Sgt. Pepper: 1981 Blue Box vs. 1983 Canadian pressing vs. 2017 Giles Martin Remix *Revisited!